Wednesday 30 September 2015

I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down and Ealing half report

I tripped and fell again!! Less than 3 weeks since the last time. This time I smacked my hand down and have really hurt the bone in my right hand below the fleshy part of the palm.

How did this happen? Again? Well I tripped on a paving slab, same as last time. Not the same place but the effect was the same. Slow motion. Realising I'm going to hit the floor. Put my hand out to break my fall. End up flailing on the floor looking foolish as cars drive by. This time though I got up and carried on my run. I've got a nice new scar on my right knee and took the scab off my left elbow. Painful but manageable. I really need to pay attention to where I'm going.

On Sunday I ran the Ealing half marathon. My plan was to use it as a training run and enjoy the race. It sort of went like that but the night before I had watched the rugby world cup match between England and Wales. Being Welsh I was beyond happy with the result. So much so that I celebrated way too much (is two bottles of wine too much? I think so). I also didn't get to bed until 1am.

The next morning I woke with the mother of all hangovers and managed to get myself to the start line for 9am. I felt and looked rough (see photo for evidence!).

How not to look on the day of a half marathon!

There were lots and lots of runners (about four thousand I think) and we all waited in the brisk autumn air in our pens. I realised that I had forgotten to put on my timing chip and that my Garmin was low on battery. This is how not to be ready for a race!

The gun went off and I settled in to my training pace.

I don't normally take on any water for a half marathon run but this time I took a bottle at each and every station. I really needed to get rid of my hangover. After about six miles it finally went away and I started enjoying myself.

Support was plentiful and it was good to see how so many people from Ealing had come out to support the race. It really feels like a proper fixture in the local calendar.

My watch gave up the ghost with about two miles to go so I had to continue on feel alone. Eventually I came in at about 1:55 which was pretty much dead on my target time.

This week has been a case of getting in a few shortish runs, no longer than 7 miles. Then my wife and I will head up to Chester on Friday to get ready for the marathon on Sunday morning. I'm hoping that a) my knee, elbow and hand stop hurting by then and b) one of my wife's family will put us up for the weekend. She has plenty of relatives so b) shouldn't be an issue.

I would like to get a sub 3:45 marathon but realistically I think sub 4 would be good at this stage. I'll write up a report once I'm back.

No comments:

Post a Comment