Tuesday 10 March 2015

Sweet sixteen

There are no more surprises.

I've run my first sixteen mile long run on Sunday. There are no longer runs. I know I can get to the end of the training plan slowly improving and strengthening. Stick to the plan and the plan should pay dividends. That's the idea.

I was planning on running down the Grand Union Canal to Paddington but instead ran a similar route along the Harrow Road instead. Why? Well, for variety really. I haven't run this route for a year or two and I really enjoyed it. I got to see London waking up on a Sunday morning as shops opened and some people made the walk of shame on their way home.

With my headphones in I find myself in a bubble, impervious to those outside of it. I know I'm not but it feels that way. More so if I wear a running cap to protect myself from the rain. I like it. Sometimes I am yanked out of my bubble by someone asking directions. But it's rare and a whole run normally passes with me, my podcasts and my bubble.

Fewer than seven weeks to go until the big day and I keep feeling strong. I'm running a 10k four weeks after the marathon. I'm not sure whether I'll be able to run it full out but if I can aim for sub 45 minutes then I'll be pleased. Then three weeks after that there is a half marathon in my home town of Swansea that I am very tempted by. I'm hoping that by then my body will have recovered and I could make a good challenge for a PB (sub 1:36).

I wasn't able to measure my weight this week but I don't think it's changed much either up or down.

This weekend is another double 10 miler; I've got a regular route for the Saturday 10 mile, I'm yet to nail down a good Sunday route. I might just go on a random run and see where my legs take me.

No comments:

Post a Comment