Tuesday 4 March 2014

Need for speed

My training schedule was written by pace rather than heart rate. For a 1:35 finish time this meant that all the runs were a little bit faster than I am comfortable with (what with coming back from a slight injury and all).

I decided to change this to heart rate. This should allow me to improve both my fitness and speed without straining my body too much. Getting injured again is definitely not on my priority list, whereas avoiding injury is! I've still kept pace in the plan for intervals of 1.25km and less as it is hard to train by heart rate for those distances.

So far it's going well. It's quite hard to keep my heart rate below 134bpm for long runs but as long as I keep on flattish roads then it's achievable and I can still keep a decent speed.

This morning I ran the 600m interval session again. Again it was hard going but I was faster than last week although I was exhausted by the end. To think that in 10 weeks' time I need to run 13.1 miles at not much slower than the interval speed from this morning is almost unthinkable. Hopefully my fitness will improve in time. If not then I will readjust my targets.

No comments:

Post a Comment