Tuesday 25 March 2014

Ankles, shmankles!

At the end of my last post I mentioned that I needed to keep an eye on my right ankle as it tends to start hurting at the end of a long run. Well, I managed a 12 mile run on Sunday going along the canal that runs around the Ealing area. It was a great run and one I look forward to. I try not to repeat the route too often for fear that it will become boring. Once per training schedule seems to be the right amount as I get to see the canal with new eyes each time. This time I noticed the smell of a wood burning stove coming from one of the canal boats. An evocative smell that reminds me of barbecues and summer. Also, there were plenty of birds around; coots, moorhens, geese, ducks and swans (no herons though unfortunately). Plenty to distract from the running.

Anyway, the last couple of miles are on the pavement back to my house and my ankle started to hurt again. Ok, I thought, lets just finish this run off and then rest for the day.

The next morning was a 5 mile recovery run. About half way through the ankle started aching again! I finished the run and decided to take action. I have not run this morning. I was due to do some interval training and as much as I hate missing training runs I thought discretion is the better part of valour and all that! I'm going to go for a four mile easy run tomorrow to see how it holds up and if it's ok then I'll carry on with the schedule.

What this means is that my chances of running the Chester half are becoming remote. If my ankle doesn't get stronger then my chances of training for the Chester full marathon in October will be in jeopardy. Treatment for the problem (which is known as post tibial tendonitis) vary from getting orthotics inserted to complete rest. I have some orthotics that I can use so we'll see how it responds to that. I would much rather do that than to have to stop running altogether.

No comments:

Post a Comment