Wednesday 8 January 2014

Pain, no gain

It's been a month since the last posting. So what's happened? Well, I tried changing my running style to no success. The midfoot running shoes still caused problems with my ankle as the distances went up. I got up to 5 miles before it hurt but any further and I was risking more damage.

So, I stopped right? Wrong!! I decided to change my style again and went back to my Vibram Five Fingers with the promise of efficient forefoot running. You know, the ones that have twice busted my calf. Surely if I took it easy I'd finally manage to lick this forefoot running thing.

Well I started at 20 minutes, increased by 5 minutes each week and finally got all the way to 35 minutes before my calf decided enough was enough. A tiny but intense pain in the calf at the end of a 35 minute run meant I had to give up the experiment.

No new running style. No Manchester marathon. I need to rest my leg to help it recover from the post tibial tendon and to make sure my calf doesn't explode. I never learn. I always think that I can find an alternative to beat the injury but in the end I just have to rest it out. I'll go out on Sunday for a trial and see how it goes.

If all is well I'm going to enter the Chester half marathon in mid May. The training schedule starts on the last week of February which gives me just over six weeks to heal and get up to some decent level of fitness.

I will update next week with hopefully good news.

No comments:

Post a Comment