Thursday 16 January 2014

On the road again

I went for a four mile run on Sunday to test out my calf. My right leg started to ache a little after a mile. By the end of four miles it still ached but not to the point that I had to or wanted to stop.

Post run it carried on aching so maybe four miles was too ambitious at the moment.

Searching on the internet I found a seven week programme for returning to running after injury. It involves a lot of walk breaks which might dent the ego a bit but if it means I get back up to training speed by the end of the programme then I can live with that.

On Wednesday I went for my first recovery run. 10 minutes walking, 5 running, 5 walking and another 5 running. It's remarkable how tiring even a 5 minute run can feel at the moment. Tomorrow I have to walk 5 and run 5 three times. It's a far cry from an 11 mile midweek run. Those seem like a lifetime away. But at least it's getting outside and not being sat indoors feeling sorry for myself.

If all goes well I hope to be able to start the half marathon training in 6 weeks' time. I know the schedule is for 7 weeks but the first week of half marathon training is pretty much the same as the last week of the recovery schedule so they tie in quite nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment