Sunday 3 February 2013

Marathon Training Week 3

Warmer weather, finally got to do some speed work and a run along the Thames.

No snow this week, a little rain but nothing to worry about. Plus the temperature stayed pretty much above freezing for the majority of the week which made running infinitely more pleasurable as well as allowed me to keep running in a short top and shorts.

On Tuesday I ran some mile intervals (four to be precise), which was exhausting but rewarding. It never feels like I've started training for any race until I have to start doing interval training or speed work. Having missed a session last week due to a combination of snow and illness I was keen to make sure I ran the session this week. I like intervals. I know most don't but I think they help mix things up during the training week otherwise running similar distances at similar pace becomes monotonous quite quickly. I still get slightly anxious before the run but once it's underway all stress dissipates and I can concentrate in hitting the interval targets.

Intervals over with and the rest of the week was relative simple. A seven miler, four miler and five miler at slow, steady and easy pace respectively saw me through to the weekend and this week's long slow run. This time it was a thirteen mile run that, as I hinted at last week, took me down to the Thames and along the river to Richmond where I crossed the bridge and ran back via Syon house and the Grand Union Canal. It's one of my favourite routes and this morning was cold and crisp. Perfect. As I ran along the Thames several rowers were out early in the half dark. They had little lights on their boats that reflected off the water and made them look quite pretty. I ended up running alongside one or two of them as their rowing pace was similar to my running pace. Eventually I sped up a little bit and left the twinkling boats behind.

Across the bridge at Richmond and back up the other side of the bank. Halfway through the run. Homeward bound. Running through the grounds of Syon House and then a short stretch along the Grand Union Canal before cutting over to the Boston Manor Road. I had to add a few twists and turns to make sure that I ran the full distance and that was it. Back home before 9am and a hot bowl of porridge with honey.

Here's the run from this morning:

Next week my Sunday run is supposed to be a 10k race. At the moment I can't find any locally so I may just have to make my own up around the streets of Ealing. There's a function on my Garmin watch that allows you to run against a virtual partner. You set the speed that your partner will run at and you have to try and beat them. Sounds like a race to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment