Sunday 10 February 2013

Marathon Training Week 4

A few weeks ago I said I had what felt like shin splints and hoped that it was my legs adjusting to the slightly higher training effort. This week my shin splints have gone, which I presume shows that my leg muscles have become stronger and have adapted to the extra miles.

This week culminated in what was meant to be a 10k race. I couldn't find any local races so had to run against the clock which is tricky because you don't get the extra shot of adrenaline and competition that an actual race gives you.

My midweek mileage is creeping up week on week. This week started with the usual easy 4 mile run. I like the Monday run and pretty much follow the same route every week. In this instance familiarity breeds further familiarity!

Tuesday is interval day. This week it was six repetitions of 800m with a 200m recovery separating them. Quite a tough workout and you certainly know you've been running. I love it.

Wednesday is mid distance day. This has been increasing each week. This week was 8 miles at a slow pace. It took me about four miles to get my head in the game (as proper sportsmen call it) which may have been a hangover from the previous day's session.

Thursday is tempo day. A mile to warm up, three miles at half marathon pace and then a mile to cool down. Not a bad work out, nowhere near as exhausting as an interval run.

Friday is rest day. Much needed.

Saturday is another easy pace run, this time five miles. Again I like to follow the same route each week.

As I said at the start this week's long run was a 10k race. I was determined to beat my last 10k time which was 44:06 and was hoping to get under 44 minutes. I started off a bit too fast and at half way was looking at a sub 43 minutes run which would have been my fastest ever time (currently 43:06). Then I ran into a headwind for the next mile and a half and my pace slowed. I managed to pick up the pace towards the end and came in at 43:56. My second fastest time ever and under the magic 44 minute mark. At the end of the run I tried to cough and almost threw up, surely a sign of having put everything into the run! My schedule gives me Monday off this week so I'm looking forward to a few beers tonight and a bit of a lie-in tomorrow.

Here's my 10k "race":

No comments:

Post a Comment