Sunday 27 January 2013

Marathon Training Week 2

This week has been a mixture of snow, illness and mild discomfort.

The snow that fell late last week managed to hang around until Wednesday. This meant having to plan my running routes to stay on or near main roads where the snow had melted and footing was more secure. Running on the snow takes more effort and can make what is meant to be an easy paced run feel much tougher.

I've been feeling a bit rough for two weeks (sore throat, stuffy nose, the usual stuff) and on Tuesday I woke up with a voice that wasn't a million miles away from Barry White. My chest was tight and my head felt like it had lost a boxing match to a breeze block. As much as I hate missing training runs I realised that the best course of action was to get back in bed and recuperate.

I felt better later in the week so recommenced my running. Fortunately the snow had now melted and running became easier. I started to feel a slight twinge in my right shin. A touch of shin splints? Not sure, could easily be the muscles adjusting to the training schedule, especially given over two months of slow base training since my last half marathon. I've run on it several times now and although the pain is not strong it only lasts for about a mile before disappearing. It'll be worth keeping an eye on it, and hopefully it will fade away over the next few months as my legs get stronger.

This morning I ran 11 miles for my weekly LSD run, following the route of the Ealing Half Marathon. There are a couple of hills but nothing too taxing. You can see the route below:



Next week is not too different but I hope to be able to run some intervals on Tuesday. A 13 mile run awaits on Sunday. I think I'll take a tried and tested route along the Thames at Richmond and back along the opposite bank.

Still haven't worn a long sleeved top yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment