Sunday 17 February 2013

Marathon Training Week 5

This week started with a fartlek session where I could run 5 miles and vary the pace as I felt fit. I always think I'll take it easy when given the choice but always, always end up running myself into the ground and this was no exception.

This was followed by an eight miler on Wednesday on a route that I hadn't run for about a year. It's nice to reacquaint yourself with an old route.

The weather had been above zero for most of the week until my long run on Sunday when freezing fog decided to descend. I'd chosen a new route. It was fairly simple run up the A40 until just past RAF Northolt and then run down to the Uxbridge Road and run back to the house. The path alongside the A40 disappeared for a bit so I had to leave it to run through a housing estate before finding my way back further up the road. I like to think I have a good sense of direction and haven't got lost, yet! Even when running abroad it's not too difficult to plan a route and then use Google Streetview to help familiarise yourself with the turning points before you head out onto the streets.

Here's this morning's run, you can see where I had to turn off the A40:


Next week hill training starts! And for the next two weeks after that with more and more repetitions. I've been doing some investigation on the internet and the hill that I have used for the last three years appears to be too steep so I'm going to try a new hill and see how that works out for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment