Sunday 17 July 2011

Marathon Training - Week 4, Richmond 10k

This week's training culminated in the Richmond 10k. My first race since the Cardiff half marathon last October and my first race since getting injured last November and missing four months training. The course started at the far end of Old Deer Park and ran up the road towards Kew Bridge. Then it veered onto the path alongside the Thames toward Richmond before doubling back on itself and finishing back where it started in Old Deer Park. I would guess there were about 500 entrants which meant that the pack had spread out nicely by the time everyone reached the Thames path where it was two abreast at most for much of the way. It was overcast and cool with a light breeze, perfect running conditions.

I managed to finish in an unofficial time of 44 minutes exactly which is under the 45 minutes I was aiming for so am well pleased. I thought I had a chance to beat my PB (43:06) and ran the first 5km exactly to plan but my lack of fitness told in the second half and I had to concentrate on just finishing within the 45.

Apart from that my running this week has gone well. I did my first session of track work on Tuesday with some 800 repeats and followed this up with an 8 miler on the Wednesday and a 3 mile threshold run on Thursday with a 1 mile warm up and cool down either side. Monday and Saturday were the usual 4 and 5 mile easy pace runs respectively.

I'm off to the States a week on Friday and have managed to re-arrange my training schedule so that I'm able to pretty much run all of the sessions I'm required to. The only sessions that will probably drop out are two hill training sessions. Only because it may be tricky finding hills to run them on depending on where I am. I may substitute those with six or seven mile steady pace runs, or just miss them out altogether since I am supposed to be on holiday after all! The one run I am really hoping to do is a twenty miler when I am in San Francisco. If I do no other running on holiday but this one then I'll be happy. My girlfriend is happy if I do the runs early in the morning before she gets out of bed so they shouldn't impinge on the holiday that much. I'm just a bit wary of the temperatures that it might reach when I'm in places like Las Vegas. I hope it's not too hot first thing in the morning.

Here's the Richmond 10k run from this morning. Note - no podcast. I'm trying to run races without listening to anything, it should help me understand how I feel during the race itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment