Sunday 10 July 2011

Marathon Training - Week 3

It's been a long while since I've run 40 miles in a week but this week I did just that. My calf has held up well to the demands I'm making of it although on Thursday I had to run 4 miles at a steady pace and could feel my right hamstring tightening all the time. It's always on my right side. Whether it's a foot injury, my calf, my knee or my hamstring it is always the right hand side that any pain or tweak is felt. Must be down to my biomechanics I suppose. I had a rest day on Friday, ran an easy run on Saturday and a 13 mile slow run this morning and have had no hamstring pain so I'm hoping it's just my legs getting used to the extended distance and time on my feet. On Tuesday I will be doing interval training so I'll find out then if there's any hidden issues!

When I was marathon training last year I ended up losing four toenails in the process. This isn't as bad or as painful as it might sound. With repeatedly pounding the pavement the flesh beneath the toenail hardens and desensitises. Eventually the toenail itself falls off. This year I am predicting at least four more will go. My little toes already appear to be on their way out. I'd give them both no more than a month. I will update as and when they eventually go.

This morning I went on a run down to Richmond via Kew Gardens and back up to Ealing via the Grand Union Canal. It's a route I've run quite a few times before but not since at least 8 months ago, so it was nice to run it again. I managed to take a quick photo on the way:

On the path next to Kew Gardens heading toward Richmond
Next week my mileage will be less as I will be running a 10k race on the Sunday. I've entered the Richmond 10k and was hoping to finish in around 45 minutes. This may be optimistic, but to be honest anything between 50 minutes and 45 minutes would be good. Under 45 minutes would be excellent considering that I'm coming back from injury. We'll see.

Here's my run from this morning. I'm pleased with my average heart rate of 75% although it didn't feel quite as easy as the statistics make it look!

No comments:

Post a Comment