Sunday 24 July 2011

Marathon Training - Week 5

Only five days of running this week because the training schedule allowed for an extra rest day after last week's 10k race. Still managed to clock up 40 miles in total with a 15 mile long run this morning.

This week sees me jiggling with my training schedule to allow for my flying to the States on Friday. This means I am going to be doing my long run of 18 miles on the Friday morning. My next rest day will be next Sunday which means 8 days straight of running. Could be quite tough but at least I'm hoping it will make sure I fall asleep on the 11 hour flight to LA.

This week will also see me doing some hill training on Tuesday morning. It's probably the most boring of the training types but helps build strength and will be the biggest test of my calf muscles so far. It's held up well to all my training up to this point so I'm quietly confident, although this could be the very definition of hubris!

I've achieved my race weight of 78.3kg three months before the start of the race. I now need to reduce my body fat content by another 2%. Not sure how I'm going to do this without losing more weight. I may need to alter my diet further. To be honest though, travelling around the States for two weeks on holiday will probably see my weight go up more than down.


Here's my 15 mile long run from this morning. I ran a new route down the Grand Union Canal to Notting Hill and then ran back along the Uxbridge Road towards Ealing. I've looked at the breakdown of the stats and I managed to keep my heart rate under 140 bpm for the first 10 miles, then it moved significantly towards the 150 bpm range. I think this is due to not taking on any water or fuel. I'll take some running gels with me for my 18 mile run on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment