Sunday 3 July 2011

Marathon Training - Week 2

38 miles this week culminating in a 11 mile long run this morning. The training week is starting to take shape. Monday is a short easy run, Tuesday interval or threshold training, Wednesday is a medium distance run, Thursday tempo run, Friday is a rest day, Saturday is a short easy run and Sunday is a slow long run. Each week the long runs get longer or are interspersed with races (10k or half marathons).
In two weeks I have to run a 10k race as my Sunday long run. I think I'll run the Richmond 10k as it's pretty close to my house and I've already run the route that it takes. It'll be the first race I've run since the Cardiff half in October and the first 10k race since the Swansea 10k in September. If I can get under 45 minutes or thereabouts I'll be pleased.

I bought myself some "proper" running shorts this week. I already have proper running shorts, i.e. they wick away sweat and are light and comfortable but they aren't "proper" running shorts. My "proper" running shorts are very short and have a split up the sides to allow the legs to move completely unhindered and allow the air to circulate properly to cool the thighs down (or something like that). What I do know is that they are very short and the first time I wore them outside I felt a little bit indecent. This feeling passed quite quickly which either says something about the shorts or a lot about me!

Went for a nice run down by the Thames this morning from Kew bridge towards Hammersmith and back along Chiswick. I took my new compact camera with me which I keep in the rear pocket of my running shorts (in a sandwich bag to protect it from sweat!). I managed to take a few shots of the river first thing in the morning:

Old Father Thames first thing in the mornng

Some swans enjoying the early light

Houses along the Thames path. How much must they be worth?

Chiswick House. I was running past and noticed the gate was open so popped in to take a photo. Nice place.

Here's my run from this morning, I managed to keep my average heart rate really low so was well pleased. Next week I will be talking about toenails and how many I think I will be losing!

No comments:

Post a Comment