Thursday 9 April 2015

Taper? We don't need no stinking taper!

Last long run done so it must be taper time right? Right? Wrong.

The Hanson method doesn't subscribe to the three week taper that pretty much all of the other training schedules follow. Instead it continues the training up until 10 days before the marathon. Then it reduces the training slightly with only easy runs. The idea is that Hanson believe that three weeks is too long. Personally I've always liked three weeks of reduced running but I'm prepared to put my faith in their methods although my legs won't be send them any Christmas cards any time soon!

 My last long run took me down to Richmond Park. Six miles there, four miles around the park and six mile back. I love running around Richmond Park. I ran through a flock of about 30 parakeets (also known as a chatter of parakeets) that were pecking at the floor. Half of them flew off when I ran through but the rest carried on pecking without a care in the world! I only managed to see one deer trotting along the side of the road but there were plenty of MAMILs out and about early on Sunday morning. Clad in their traditional lurid lycra as they hurtle around the park on their metal horses. I don't suppose I looked any less mental at that time in the morning!

We had guests staying in with us this weekend so I wasn't able to weigh myself as I need to do it on the landing to get a proper signal to my wifi receiver and standing practically naked on the landing is not something guests would like to see first thing in the morning I reckon! Anyway, it was Easter this weekend and I ate a lot of chocolate. Normally I eat very little chocolate but I'm one of those people who can't stop once they start so it's probably best that I didn't weigh myself. I'm expecting to put on a little bit by next week but I should still be around my planned racing weight.

This weekend I have to run two sets of 10 milers. I'm at that point in my training were I look forward to every run since I know I'm able to run them well. Hopefully that will apply to the marathon itself.

Once thing I want to change is to take more photos. I know blogs are much more interesting if photos are included. I'm just trying to find a way of taking my iPhone with me so I can stop and take a quick snap on one of my runs if something nice catches my eye. I'll see how I get on.

No comments:

Post a Comment