Tuesday 6 January 2015

New year, new marathon training

Well it's been a while since my last entry. I hadn't really done much since then, just ticking over with four runs a week with a long-ish run on Sundays.

As I mentioned before, I'm planning on running the Shakespeare marathon in Stratford following the Hanson marathon training method (no runs longer than 16 miles).

As I write this I'm at the beginning of week 3 of 18. All the runs are at least 6 miles long with a speed session on Tuesday, tempo run on Thursday and a rest day on Wednesday. It's pretty tough since the distances run are spread over the week rather than smaller runs during the week with a much longer run on the weekend that other training plans seem to follow.

I hadn't planned it but the training plan actually started on Christmas day! I always go for a run first thing on Christmas day anyway, it just so happens that this time I was starting my training. We were staying with my parents in Swansea so I had the added excitement of running in a different environment than I usually do. Six miles at 7am running down a cycle path along a disused railway track. What better way to begin the festivities? It was pitch black and I could barely see the path in front of me. It's odd but if I were to walk along there in the dark it would probably make me slightly wary but stick a pair of running shorts on and I'm happy to run pretty much anywhere. It's all a matter of perspective.

My weight has gone up over the last couple of months. Christmas celebrating has taken its toll. I'm about 6kg more than I want to be (just less than a stone in old money). To counter this I have decided to give up alcohol for the next four months until after the marathon. I'm not going to be super strict about it, I'll make exceptions for special occasions (if we go out for a meal etc) but generally I will not be drinking at all in the house. To be honest I'm looking forward to going without the booze, I'm hoping it will help me lose my excess weight quicker. Going back to work after the holiday break I struggled to get my trousers on they were so tight around the waist!

I have a 10 mile long run this Sunday. It's still too dark to run by the canal so I'll have to find a street route I can follow. It's never as interesting running along the streets as it is on the canals (unless it takes me into central London) but until the sun starts getting up earlier I'll have to make do.

No comments:

Post a Comment