Tuesday 24 February 2015

Halfway to paradise (or hell)

Nine weeks down, nine to go. I still haven't missed a training session. I've had to shuffle some around a bit but not actually missed any which is better than I've managed on any other training plan. And I'm running more days per week than on any other training plan I've followed.

This week is my last speed intervals session. I was supposed to run it this morning but due to me staying up all night on Sunday to watch the Oscars (an annual thing I do, sad I know) I had to shuffle my running days this week back by a day so will run it tomorrow. Next week strength training replaces speed which means running longer intervals but at a slower speed (although still faster than marathon speed).

My long run this week was 15 miles. The intensity of the week runs means I'm running the long run on tired legs which I suppose is the purpose of the whole plan. On Saturday's I'm running either 8 miles or 10 miles and then running a long run on the Sunday. It's pretty exhausting. Anyway, on Sunday I ran down the Thames path to Hammersmith Bridge (which is a beautiful bridge by the way, not quite as pretty as Albert Bridge but it's a close second), crossed over to the other side and then back along the other side. It's a great run and one that I don't do too often so is nice to reacquaint myself with it.

Over the years that I've been running I've noticed more and more people on the streets running. It seems as though running is in. Maybe it's because it's a cheap exercise. Maybe it's to do with social media (i.e. I see my friends are running, maybe I should too). Maybe it's because we are more informed about the benefits of a healthy lifestyle than ever before. Or more probably a combination of all to varying degrees. What's encouraging is that I'm seeing more people earlier in the year while it is still cold in the morning. This makes a change from the usual fair weather runners that I tend to pass during the spring/summer months when it is nice and light and warm early in the day. I hope it continues.

I weighed myself as normal this week but for some reason it did not link up with the internet correctly so I can't display it. Suffice to say that my weight has dropped to 79.5kg. It's not much of a loss but is better than a gain. I'm still 1.5kg away from my ideal target and have 9 weeks to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment