Tuesday 26 April 2011

Return to running (take two)

And so begins my next attempt to return from injury.
It's quite tricky just keeping to a schedule of no more than twenty minutes. I want to run more but know that I shouldn't. Experience has told me not to do too much too soon otherwise I'll be sidelined again. Same old, same old. We'll see.
To offset this I've been working on my core strength. All the running textbooks say that a strong core helps prevent injury and can improve running form and efficiency. So now I'm doing core training two times a week. There's an iphone app called ParaFitness that prescribes exercises and a schedule to follow to build up the core.
I've also been massaging my calf as many times in the day as I can as well as strengthening it by performing heel lifts every day.
My original sixteen week marthon training was due to start in June but because I won't have the miles in my legs by then I've found a twelve week plan that will start in mid-July. This gives me three months to get back into fitness as well as increase my mileage to be able to start marathon training. This should still allow me to aim for a sub 3 hour 30 minute marathon although it does feel a bit like the last chance saloon.
Here's my run from Monday, it's a small loop around the streets where I live. I won't be going much further for the next four to six weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment