Monday 11 April 2011

Putting the Vibrams away, for now

What a difference a week makes. I have decided to shelve my plan to run using the Vibram Five Fingers since it is putting far too much pressure on my calf. It would only be a matter of time before I caused myself a major injury and do not fancy resting for another four months while I lose more and more fitness, saying goodbye to any marathon I want to run this year. This decision came after I had to abandon my run on Friday morning because the strain on my right calf became too much.
My new plan is to carry on running in my normal running shoes (at the moment these are Brooks GTS10 and Asics GT 2150) and to continue following the run/walk plan until I’m back to full fitness.
This morning my run was 65 minutes at 3 mins run/2 mins walk. This covered just over 10k and although I could feel my calf fatiguing towards the end of the run it managed to survive. I’ll stretch it out and use my massage stick to keep it from stiffening up.
I’m writing this on the day after the Brighton marathon. A whole year has gone by since I ran last year’s race and it will be another six months until I run my next marathon in October. I’m hoping to beat my time of 3:44:46 (to be honest I’m hoping to beat 3:30) but that all depends on my calf.
I’ve also been thinking about other challenges. This came about after watching the James Cracknell trilogy on the Discovery channel. He ran the 150 mile Marathon Des Sables and finished twelfth which is the highest placing ever for a Brit. He then followed this up by attempting to run and cycle the entire way across America. Unfortunately he was knocked off his bike five days in to the attempt. He narrowly avoided death and was laid up in a hospital for a month while his brain and body recovered. After this, and still with some frontal lobe brain damage he entered and completed the 430 mile Yukon Arctic Ultra cycle race which is run in insanely cold weather. If you want to understand the limits of what the human body can do I seriously suggest watching this series of programmes.
Anyway, with this in mind I’ve been thinking about what challenges I would like to do. Not necessarily in the next year or two but as a bucket list of challenges I would like to do before I get too old to do any of them. Off the top of my head I came up with this list:

  • London Marathon
  • Boston Marathon (via qualification, not charity or a sports tour package)
  • Cycling from Land’s End to John O’Groats via the most southerly, easterly, westerly and northerly mainland points of Britain.
  • Compete in an ultra (maybe Comrades in South Africa or even the MDS!)
  • Compete in an ironman (not really looking for a finishing time, just to be able to finish)
  • New York Marathon
  • Marathon du Medoc (where the water stations have wine! What’s not to like)

Runner’s World has an article on its website called “20 Races to do before you die”.  There’s a number in there that I wouldn’t mind doing such as the Ethiopian 10k.

Here’s the link, I think it’s accessible to non-subscribers:

Anyway, here’s my run from this morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment