Thursday 5 May 2016

Doing the no-taper taper

The Hanson marathon method is structured in such a way that the schedule only really alters from the routine that has been followed with one week to go until the marathon race itself.

This effectively means that although the quantity of running follows a downward trend for the last three weeks of training it doesn't actually feel like a taper until the final week.

I have though run my last long run. 16 miles through Richmond Park on a glorious blue sky day. Deer came out to play but I did not see any parakeets (unfortunately).

I managed to take a couple of photos while out running through the park and you can see them on my Strava link below:



I have just over two weeks to go to the marathon and the longest run I have left is a 12 mile tempo run (1 mile w/u, 10 miles tempo, 1 mile w/d) next Thursday. I can't say I will miss the interval and tempo training but they do give a sense of variety to what is a very intense (6 days per week) training schedule.

I've ordered a micro video camera that I am hoping will arrive in time for me to test out. It may be possible for me to clip it on my vest as I run the marathon so I can upload some videos. Unfortunately the battery only lasts for about two hours so I won't be able to capture the whole race, I'll just have to be selective (providing I can get it working sufficiently).

I'm running my last pair of back to back ten mile runs this weekend. Saturday will be my usual jaunt around the local parks of Ealing and on Sunday I think I'll run along the canals since I haven't done so in quite some time, so long as the weather stays nice.

Given the cold temperatures of March and April it has just started to warm up around here now. I don't particularly mind about the heat or the cold but it does feel nice when I step out at 5:30am and the sun is shining and the temperature is above freezing!

If my video camera turns up by next week I'll try and put up some sample videos.

No comments:

Post a Comment