Thursday 28 August 2014

Mr. Mojo Risin

Coming back from holiday always brings a case of the blues. This time was no different except I had to get up and run 5 miles, 16 miles, 5 miles, 10 miles, 11 miles and 15 miles in successive days before heading off again to Riga for a long boys' weekend with friends from work.

Coming back from that holiday (I can recommend Riga as a very nice place to spend two or three days) and I was faced with another string of consecutive runs which would cumulate with a 20 miler on Sunday.

It all started to feel like a chore and my running mojo dipped significantly. So much so that what with my disrupted training due to minor niggles and holidays together with this lack of running spark I have decided to pull out of the Chester marathon this year (although I hadn't entered it yet so am not really pulling out if anything, rather not entering).

It's a shame but I like to run because I LIKE to run. It shouldn't feel like an arduous job, it's my hobby that I enjoy.

What to do instead? Well, I've found a maintenance running plan that I will use for four runs a week that will be run at my preferred pace. I'll also start looking for a spring marathon (assuming I fail to get in London again!) when I'll hopefully not have so many disruptions getting in the way. I don't usually go on holiday during the spring (honeymoon notwithstanding) so it should be easier to maintain a proper schedule.

I'll update next time on whether the mojo has returned or if I've slumped into an ever decreasing circle of despair!

No comments:

Post a Comment