Wednesday 16 July 2014

A new hope

I took a week off running to ease my shin splints and thought that I would have to pull out of the Chester Marathon (not that I've even entered yet). A week can seem like an eternity for a runner and this was no different.

Finally, after a week I went for a 4 mile run at my own pace to see how I felt. It went well. Not much complaining in the legs and I felt good afterwards.

With this in mind I started thinking of looking for a 12 week schedule that would take me up to the date of the marathon. I knew I would have to abandon the Hanson method but was hopeful of finding an alternative. Luckily Pfizinger and Douglas do a 12 week schedule that should do the job nicely.

Last year I followed the P+D up to 55 miles schedule for 18 weeks and managed to PB in Chester. From looking online a lot of people preferred the 12 week schedule because it provides more focus, what with it being closer to the actual race and that (6 weeks closer!).

So, this morning I ran 8 miles with 10x100m strides and that went well. No issues with my legs but I'm not counting my chickens yet. I still need to see how a week of training will go but I'm definitely more hopeful than I was last week.

I've even managed to rearrange runs so that I'm able to run whilst on holiday but not all the time (about 50% of days).

Tomorrow I have a 9 mile run planned so at the moment it's onwards and upwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment