Friday 6 June 2014

Back, back, back. Ow.

I ran the BUPA 10k a couple of weeks ago now. It was a hot day and I met up with my wife's family members who were also running. Good organisation, plenty of toilets and a decent wave system of releasing the runners.

I was in one of the front waves and set off at a decent pace. My plan was to go off at 45 minute pace or a bit faster and then see how it goes. This went well until about 4km when my lack of training and fitness started to tell. I slowed slightly which helped because the weather started to heat up even more.

Due to the doubling back nature of the course, at about 7km I started to see my wife's family members coming the other way. Managed to get a high five in as we crossed paths.

Finally managed to get over the line in 47:01 which is not too bad given the amount of training I'd done and the conditions. I went back to the 200m to go line and started cheering in fellow runners. After everyone had crossed we all went to the Strand and had a few beers. And by a few I mean loads. Can't really remember getting home but do remember having a great time.

This week the Hanson method marathon training was due to start on Thursday. I say due to because I didn't manage to start at all. I was on a business trip to the Netherlands so took my running gear and had planned out a 6 mile route around the area near the hotel.

I woke up on Wednesday, went for a shower and went for breakfast in the hotel. As I walked down the corridor my back spasmed and by the time I go to the breakfast room I was doubled over. I couldn't stand straight and my back was killing me. I went into work and managed to earn the nickname "Robocop" because of the way I was walking.

Anyway, I woke up on Thursday and although my back was better (70% of the previous pain) there was no way I could run. Walking was still a bit tricky. I flew back to London that day and woke up this morning again with pain (about 40%). So no running again. Maybe tomorrow but I am thinking of writing off this week to let my back completely recover and then start from scratch on Monday. Not the best start to a marathon training schedule but better that than to run and make things worse. I seem to be saying that a lot these days!!

Let's see how it goes. Hopefully by the next time I write I've started marathon training.

No comments:

Post a Comment