Sunday 24 March 2013

Marathon Training Week 10

Last week was my stag weekend so I was unable to update with a blog. In summary I had to shorten my week and bring my Sunday long run to forward to the Friday. It was a 20 mile run and I didn't really have much of a plan of where to go. I headed out towards Hounslow with an intention of running past Twickenham. Wales were due to play England the next day and I wanted to run past the English rugby HQ as some ridiculous gesture of support for Wales. Whatever, it must have worked because Wales totally stuffed England and won the Six Nations!

My runs this week have been a bit strained. My easy four miler on Monday was hard work which was either a hangover from the weekend's excess or because I had concatenated all my training runs the previous week. Either way, by Friday I had run 9 miles on intervals, a slow 9 mile run and then a 5 mile tempo run. This has put a strain on my left achilles which feels a bit stiff and sore. On Saturday I went for a 3 mile easy paced run and my achilles came through it with no issues. But then later in the day it still felt stiff and sore.

Today (Sunday) I was meant to run a half marathon. My dilemma is that because of my impending wedding next Saturday I am having to run my 20 mile long run on the Friday again which means that I will have no rest days and don't want to risk injury. So I dropped today's run and will run an 8 mile fartlek tomorrow, followed by 6 mile slow run, 11 mile steady and a 4 mile easy run before the long run on Friday. Hopefully I will get through without injury. On the morning of my wedding I am going to run 5 miles. I had intended to run my 20 miler on the wedding morning but then common sense kicked in! On the Monday we are going on honeymoon to New Orleans and I am going to have to juggle my runs around again. I've had easer training schedules to arrange!

Here is my 20 mile long run from last week:


No comments:

Post a Comment